Now that the weather is getting nicer, you may be tempted to skip your resistance training and circuit training programs and head outdoors for some aerobic exercise such as walking or biking in the fresh air and sunshine. Beware: if you give up your resistance training and circuit training you will be giving up more than you ever bargained for.
Why resistance and circuit train?
Retirement communities, like Carolina Bay at Autumn Hall, that offer resistance training and circuit training throughout the year to their senior independent living and assisted living residents understand the benefits that make it critical for your health and well-being. Without it, your muscles will begin to atrophy. If you aren’t building muscle, you are definitely losing it.
Beginning at age 20, we begin naturally losing muscle mass and every decade it gets worse.
The old saying holds true for muscle mass: “if you don’t use it, you lose it.” Here at Carolina Bay, you don’t have to lose it!
Benefits of Resistance Training and Circuit Training at Carolina Bay:
- Stops muscle loss and helps begin the rebuilding process.
- Makes daily activities easier, from carrying groceries to re-arranging your furniture in your apartment.
- Gives your arms and legs a toned look.
- Increases bone density, giving you a strong, stable skeleton to support your body.
- Improves balance and coordination to help with falls prevention.
- Prevents decay of the pads between your bones, so that you do not hurt when you move about your day.
- Causes the tendons to grow deeper into your bones, reducing the chance of tearing which can be detrimental.
- Builds muscles which will burn more calories, even while you are at rest.
- Reduces blood pressure by making your heart stronger at rest as well as during exercise.
- Increases your metabolism, leading to weight loss.
- Decreases blood sugar, which helps prevent insulin resistance so you will not develop diabetes.
- Improves your aerobic capacity: the stronger your muscles, the better you overall endurance.
- Gives you a general feeling of wellnessand a feeling of strength. If you are strong, you will feel strong.
- Raises your energy level. The more muscle you have, the less effort you have to exert and the more energy you have available to go about your day.
- Secures future protection against falls and fractures. If you age with dense bones, strong muscles and good balance, your risk of injury significantly decreases.
- Creates 22% more after-burn than aerobic exercise. (After-burn refers to the fat and calories your body burns in the hours after you have finished your workout each day.)
Don’t give up your resistance training just because spring is here and you are eager to get outside. There is no substitute for lifting weights 2 to 3 times each week.
Be sure to hit the weights in our beautiful Fitness Center and as always, INSPIRE …to be the best YOU!
-Nate Futrell, INSPIRE Wellness Program Director